Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

philo news May 2017 20:42:18 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I am not an OS zealot, I simply use whichever OS does the job
best.

Nor am I. If I were a zealot, I wouldn't have written apps that'll
run on a variety of different OSes. I would have forced you to run a
specific OS and/or specific version of said OS.

That is why I have Windows, OSX and Linux machines.

I don't have *any* OSX machines, myself. I can't justify the cost or
the lack of ability to take a hands on approach with them. I've never
been a fan of proprietary. It's why when I had the choice as a kid, I
went from coco3 to PC.

I mentioned that I have upgraded a number of Win7 machines to
Win10, but my wife's main machine which is used to to real work,
is staying with Win7.

So what are your plans when Windows 7 EOL comes and is no longer
supported? Just like XP. Are you going to fall for the scare
mongering, or, keep it and tell them to stick the scare mongering up
their preverbial arses? It is coming, you know. MS is already
shortcutting the official EOL time forcing some hardware to
intentionally not support it, via drivers and their on Update
package. See thread where a single MS dll has been patched to allow
the updates MS doesn't want you doing on Windows 8.1 and down.

It has worked flawlessly for years and it would not be worth
taking a gamble on Win10. There is zero chance anything would
would better.

Oh.. I see you've sought treatment then for the MS koolaid? It's
nasty stuff, so I'm told.