Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows 10 updates on 'unsupported' hardware

On 5/4/2017 2:39 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 11:28:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/04/2017 06:06 AM, Bud Frede wrote:
Diesel writes:

Just another way MS is ****ing you over. For those of you
drinking the Windows 10 koolaid... What flavor is it supposed to
be? And, does it taste like it?
It's the same flavor that all Microsoft software has had since
day 1.

No, MS is really making things worse.

I recently built a machine with a mobo that was designed for Win10
or Ubuntu 16.

I was able to install Win7 with no problems but there were no
drivers for USB. (also generic video drivers)

None were provided by the mfg and none of the "usual tricks"
worked.

For example, back in the old days XP drivers worked fine for
Win2K.

Er.. SOME were okay to use, yes. others would send you into an
immediate BSOD.

What I did was install Win10 then find the drivers USB was using
and I copies the .sys and .inf to a cd.

Oh boy. I can just imagine how that worked out for you...

Booting back to Win7 I used the Win10 drivers in attempt to get
USB working. I got the usual message concerning "unsigned drivers"
and installed them, That normally would have done the trick but in
the situation here, the USB drivers were non-functional.

You're lucky you didn't BSOD, instead.

The upgrade from Win7 to Win10 is still free,so... since this was
not costing me anything, I went ahead and decided to use Win10.

Oh, it's costing you, just not in monies right away.

A default installation of Win10 is **** poor, but after doing a
bit of experimenting and tweaking I managed to get it working
quite well and have turned off quite a bit of MS spying...but am
quite sure there is more left I will have to trace down.

You can't turn it all off, and, at MS's whim, whatever changes you
did make concerning that are an update away from being reversed.

Some of the problems MS may some day fix, but most of them will be
ignored by MS.
Sure, why not. Those who don't know any better are installing Win10
like good sheeple.

Exactly what do you recommend then ? You criticized me for installing
Win7 , you don't like 10 , what are we all supposed to do , jump over
to Linux OS's ?

--

Snag