Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Computer problem solved

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 15:45:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

So if you know all about forklifts what is it specifically you
have against Enersys tubular batteries? I have not worked for them
for four years and am hardly touting the company but the truth is
they make damn good batteries.

I didn't say I had a problem with their batteries. You assumed I knew
nothing about other types of batteries...*shrug*

Since you are familiar with motive power then I do not need to go
into detail about why a tubular battery delivers more power than a
flat plate (for the same sized battery.)

No, you don't. If I want 'real power' for very small size and weight,
I'd be running one or more flavors of lithium these days, anyhow. I
can get more amps out of them than I could tubular or flat plate, for
much smaller physical size and weight. A ****load more amps,
actually.

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck is the
counterweight of the battery.

Of course there are batteries lighter then lead-acid but the weight is
essential. Most trucks, and certainly all high life varieties have a
specified minimum battery weight.
Have you seen the electric drag racing car?

Somewhere at my company there was a poster showing the car that held the
world speed record in 1899. It was an electric car that went 60 mile per
hour. As to drag racing, it's been a long time since I've seen one.

Did a lot of street racing back in the late 60's.

My friend owned a '67 Shelby 350 and soon lost his license so I did most
of the driving after that.
Those were different times ,

I heard that if the mobo had USB support, one could compile-in USB
support and get it going. The cognoscenti at the time advised me
that it would not work if the machine had an add-on USB card.

Though my old P-1 did have an add-on USB card I saw no reason why
I could not give it a try...so I compiled a USB kernel but as I
was warned...my add-on card did not function.

Years later I discussed this with a friend who wrote drivers for
HP and quite a bit brighter than me in the area. He told me that I
would have needed to specify the H/W parameters of the card
itself. Something way beyond my ability.

Your friend is correct. That's SOP for driver writing, btw.

Yeah. He was the High School genius and he does not have anything good
to say about HP. He really got screwed over.

He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else could
make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to bother with.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said before
it's a different world