Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Computer problem solved

philo news May 2017 15:27:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 04:55 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 18:41:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I did attempt it once and replaced all the ones that were
visually bad, bit the mobo still did not work due to others
being bad as well. I decided not to bother, it was a waste of
time.

When doing a cap job, you may as well go ahead and do them all.
So you don't run into problems like you experienced, later on.
Visual inspection alone is not sufficient to determine caps
condition...Considering your electronics background? you should
have known that and not opted for the route you took. I'm going
to chalk this one off as boredom on your part. It does get
old, kind of fast, desoldering/soldering a pile of various sized
caps.

When the suspect (depending on which story you go with) caps came
to light, it was cheaper to replace them on the boards than it
was to replace the board, risk changing out the chipset, and
having to modify the windows registry so it does a driver hunt,
instead of trying to load on a different board which usually (but
not always) results in a BSOD instead.

Yes, it was nothing critical, just the need to fool with something
for the heck of it. Even if I would have repaired the mobo,
withing having replaced all the caps I never would have trusted
it.

There's ways, you know, using software to do a 'burn in' test on the
board to determine if it's stable.