Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Computer problem solved

On 05/01/2017 04:55 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 16:38:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I seriously doubt you would be using forklift batteries or
stationary batteries. I doubt you ever would have anything bigger
than a car battery and I did not deal with those.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions, right? I actually
get a kick out of people who make the mistake of trying to judge me,
or the knowledge they think I have/don't have, without knowing
anything about me, personally. Not only have I 'used' forklift
batteirs for various projects, including running an electric
forklift (they make fantastic inverter power sources, too, btw),
I've also spent a considerable amount of time rewiring the charging
boards, rewinding the motors which typically provided hydraulics in
my case; although, I do remember seeing one or two that I call
direct drive, no hydraulics, just hard grunt work provided by a DC
motor.

Btw, I recently rebuilt the charger for a skyjack and reconditioned
the batteries for the same unit. It doesn't use car batteries
either. ROFL.

Suffice to say, I know a bit more about batteries from hands on
experience than you've made the mistake of publically assuming.

So if you know all about forklifts what is it specifically you have
against Enersys tubular batteries? I have not worked for them for four
years and am hardly touting the company but the truth is they make damn
good batteries.

Since you are familiar with motive power then I do not need to go into
detail about why a tubular battery delivers more power than a flat plate
(for the same sized battery.)

One of our competitors, to make a flat plate that delivers as much power
as a tubular started manufacturing flat plate batteries with more...but
thinner...plates.
Yes, they will deliver as much power as a tubular battery ,,,but there
is no way in hell they will last as long. My guess is probably half the
life...making the extra expense of a tubular worth it in applications
which require more power....especially freezers.

The funny thing about Enerysys is that they have now bought up quite a
few of their competitors so they also sell those lower quality high
capacity flat plates.

The office I worked out of was authorized to see the former Exide
technology batteries and also the General Battery brand.

We were not authorized to sell the Hawker products or Douglas.

We at least handled two divisions...in some parts of the country, the
factory branches only handled one product apiece.
Bottom line though: Enersys has the lions share of the market.

..

Way back around the year 2000 I went so far as compiling my own
Linux kernel . In a way it was kind of challenging and fun but
that type of stuff is not my cup of tea.

What did you add/remove code wise from the source prior to
compiling? Was it something you wrote, or additional hardware
support you needed at the time? In other words, did you incorporate
an additional (in windows speak) driver?

As you know Linux kernel 2.2 did not even had USB support.

I heard that if the mobo had USB support, one could compile-in USB
support and get it going. The cognoscenti at the time advised me that it
would not work if the machine had an add-on USB card.

Though my old P-1 did have an add-on USB card I saw no reason why I
could not give it a try...so I compiled a USB kernel but as I was
warned...my add-on card did not function.

Years later I discussed this with a friend who wrote drivers for HP and
quite a bit brighter than me in the area. He told me that I would have
needed to specify the H/W parameters of the card itself. Something way
beyond my ability.

It was just an exercise in learning as the 2.4 kernel was already out
and IIRC it did have working USB even for add-on cards.

snip

Wife is calling me, gotta go