Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Computer problem solved

philo news Apr 2017 18:41:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I did attempt it once and replaced all the ones that were visually
bad, bit the mobo still did not work due to others being bad as
well. I decided not to bother, it was a waste of time.

When doing a cap job, you may as well go ahead and do them all. So you
don't run into problems like you experienced, later on. Visual
inspection alone is not sufficient to determine caps
condition...Considering your electronics background? you should have
known that and not opted for the route you took. I'm going to chalk
this one off as boredom on your part. It does get old, kind of fast,
desoldering/soldering a pile of various sized caps.

When the suspect (depending on which story you go with) caps came to
light, it was cheaper to replace them on the boards than it was to
replace the board, risk changing out the chipset, and having to modify
the windows registry so it does a driver hunt, instead of trying to
load on a different board which usually (but not always) results in a
BSOD instead.