Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Computer problem solved

On 04/30/2017 12:37 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"philo" wrote in message news On 04/28/2017 10:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

On 4/28/2017 8:03 PM,
wrote:

SNIP
When I'm "on the clock" it's still cheaper to even grab one at a drug
store than to drive an extra 8 blocks for a $2.99 battery - as
difficult as it is to get my head around THAT some days!!!!.

I still do some computer repair work and if I had a paying customer
waiting, $7 for a CMOS battery would not have been a big deal.

When doing work you can recover your cost it is often better to pay more
for an item and get the customer going.

When working a large motor speed control quit. The factory repair main
replaced 2 large diodes. There were 3 of them as this was a 3 phase
system. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they were $ 50
each. I told him I don't care as it was costing up about $ 1000 an hour
to be down plus your charge to come back in if needed. It may not need
changing, but why take the chance.

Someone brought me a power supply for a very high end film scanner.
It has four bridge rectifiers two of which had been replaced a while
back. One of the original ones is bad but I'm going to replace the
still-good original one as well. They are about $8 each.

**Are you sure they are Diodes' and not the Triacs

Yep, simple bridge rectifier.

The box he gave me just contains the transformer and rectifiers.

It plugs into the device which I assume has a filter caps and regulation.

It's simple and straightforward.

I've worked on this type of equipment since the 70's