Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Computer problem solved

philo news Apr 2017 03:45:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Ironically after the buy outs , Exide is no longer Exide.

http://www.timesnews.net/Business/20...tol-operations

Enersys-Delaware bought all of the Exide technology including the
manufacturing facilities and Exide was nothing but a name owned by
/some/ of the original owners. They in turn bought out Gould
National Battery which have previously bought out Chloride Battery
(which is where I originally started)

So Enersys is responsible for the bankruptcy that closed the Bristol plant?

http://www.timesnews.net/News/2013/0...for-bankruptcy

So if you want the superior Exide technology you need to go to
Enersys.

No, thanks.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found
out differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have
to excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this
point.

It was me just being modest and I do admit to not being much of a
programmer...but as far as actually trouble-shooting and repairing
I am battery pretty near 1000.

If you can't read/write code, you're limited. Sorry, but, you are.
The computer still 0wns you, you don't 0wn it.

I realize you're quite a bit older than myself, but, my electronics
troubleshooting background isn't exactly new. I was repairing tv's,
stereos, etc, and later, vhs based vcrs; previously beta max; which
was superior, but, still lost out, long before I became a teenager.
Some kids did the dishes for allowance, I fixed neighbors equipment
for mine.

As far as your troubleshooting skills go, how often did you have to
rely on other peoples software to deal with something, and how often
did you resort to reloading Windows to fix a software issue? I'm
pretty sure I've got you beat on both counts, as in, much lower
numbers.

I don't know if I've ever worked on computer I could not fix. One
of my most harrowing repairs was repairing the electronics on a
failed hard drive. I found a bad solder joint on a surface mount
capacitor. I then gave the owner of the machine a lecture on
backing up.

Try removing a soldered eeprom to reflash it off the mainboard for
the user. and then, reinstall it to the mainboard, without
destroying it in the process. The board, or the eeprom. That's
harrowing. All because said user interrupted a bios flashupdate in
progress. They thought they were fuxored. They nearly were.

Ever remove an active copy of lojack from a laptop without losing
any data or otherwise harming the laptop? I have. Ever encounter a
password locked Dell where the password was set on the HD itself? I
have. And, I succesfully unlocked the hard disk, too. No, sticking
the HD in another machine won't give you any access to the drive
contents, if that's what you were thinking. The machine won't
even be able to identify the drive, because the circuitry on the
controller board on the drive itself is locked out. Trying to get
cheeky and swap controller boards will not unlock the drive either;
it's mated to the mechanical section at this point and will not
allow you any access. In case you had that in mind as the next step.

Ever crack Autocard r13 as a teenager, and make thousands by selling
a couple of cracked copies? I have.

Ever enjoy all the channels one could get via dish/directv via
emulation and reprogramming smart cards? I've done that too.

It pays to be a coder.