Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Computer problem solved

philo news Apr 2017 18:45:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

snipped but read

They were the CR2032

and one thing I know is batteries. I was a senior service engineer
at Enersys-Delaware and had 38 years in the field when I retired.
(Previously Yuasa-Exide and before that Exide)

That's nice. I'm quite familiar with Exide myself. One of their
plants *was* a little ways down the road from me. They're supposedly
going to be restarting operations soon. I used to get killer deals on
various types of batteries, because, a very close friends wife worked
there at the time. She's not doing well health wise now as a result
of that job, though. Walking around in battery acid upto your knees
tends to take it's toll on you, protective gear or not.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found out
differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have to
excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this point.

It's not that I have a personal issue of any kind with you, it's all
about my thirst for knowledge. Inaccurate knowledge is tainted, you
understand.

I know how to test a CMOS battery under load and always do so with
any that might have been sitting around for a while, but they do
have a very long shelf life.

The reason I asked was because you bought them overseas and didn't
provide any information other than sticking them in the machine and
away they went. Depending on the internals of the battery, it may
have a 'long shelf' life; but you didn't define what that means to
you, either.

It was more of a psychological need than a real one.

That, I do understand.

Example:

Ten years after I had been living in my house, I one day noticed
that the bathroom light had no globe. It was just a bare light
bulb.

I went over to the nearest h/w store but they were out of the size
I needed. The clerk told me he was getting a restock shipment in
two days and to come back.

Needless to say I went to another H/W store, no way was I going to
wait two more days!

I did something very close to this last week! I purchased another
external HD to make a near network wide backup. I've already got
various backups, but, for some reason, I wanted to make another one,
that day, on a fresh drive. I had no logical reason to do so, so
soon. Slimer isn't even giving a hint of pending hardware/software
failures, but, My mind is at ease now knowing everything on it and a
few other boxes is safely stored on yet another drive.