Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 28 April 2017 16:51:50 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 28 April 2017 15:14:45 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , tim...
wrote:
up about us leaving the EU. Basically non of the usual tariffs
and duties etc will apply. Such is their brave new world.

the problem is that there are two different points here

Most leavers who say that "tariffs are optional" are usually
responding to the otf claimed nonsense in the press, that leaving
the EU will impose tariffs that WILL put up prices for UK
consumers, when that is a complete falsehood.

All you can do is think about the most likely scenario. If anyone
thinks the non EU UK will allow in all imports regardless tariff
free, they are totally mad.

Of course they are if they think EU citizens will accept massive
increases in say the cost of whisky or cheddar cheese. I doubt those
in the UK will be very happy if the UK puts a tarrif on say brie or
german cars, but if we do who is likely to loose out most. Germany
because the taffir is 50% and no one in the UK (or very few) will buy
a gernan car at twice the price it was last week, who will lose
out... It'll be Germany NOT the UK as anyoen wantint to buy a car
might go for a non german car that has lower tarriffs

It would be an EU tariff - not exclusively German - and as has been
pointed out earlier it would be a identical tariff on all imported cars
unless we had special agreement with the EU.

So what would be the advantage for the EU to put tarriffs on anything. ?

you misunderstand. It is the UK which would impose thn tariff - but they
couldn't just do it on German cars - it would apply to all cars from the EU
(France, Italy & Spain immdiately spring to mind) and could well apply to
all cars from whereever.

The cars "from wherever" are already subject to any tariff imposed by
the EU. When we leave we can make our own arrangements with South Korea,
Japan, USA etc.
--
bert