Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 28 April 2017 15:14:45 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
up about us leaving the EU. Basically non of the usual tariffs and
duties etc will apply. Such is their brave new world.

the problem is that there are two different points here

Most leavers who say that "tariffs are optional" are usually responding
to the otf claimed nonsense in the press, that leaving the EU will
impose tariffs that WILL put up prices for UK consumers, when that is a
complete falsehood.

All you can do is think about the most likely scenario. If anyone thinks
the non EU UK will allow in all imports regardless tariff free, they are
totally mad.

Of course they are if they think EU citizens will accept massive
increases in say the cost of whisky or cheddar cheese.

Not possible given that Ireland will remain in the EU.

I doubt those in the UK will be very happy if the
UK puts a tarrif on say brie or german cars,

Not legally possible under the WTO rules, and
the EU and Britain are signatorys to those.

but if we do who is likely to loose out most.

Those doing what is contrary to the WTO rules.

Germany because the taffir is 50% and no one in the UK (or very few)
will buy a gernan car at twice the price it was last week, who will lose
out...

Just those that buy kraut cars, they will have to buy
worse cars instead or pay twice as much for the same cars.

It'll be Germany NOT the UK

Both would in fact.

as anyoen wantint to buy a car might go for a non german
car that has lower tarriffs or a car made in the UK.

And so end up with a much worse car
or pay twice as much for the same car.

I douubt those considering a car will give up driving
or start walking or using public transport.

Sure, but they would obviously end up with much
worse cars or pay twice as much for the same cars.

Also considering that most say we don't export much
at all anyway, why should we worry about tarrifs ?

Indeed. And they cant be selectively applied
to Britain under the WTO rules anyway.

The EU isnt going to massively hike the tariff on all cars imported
into the EU, because everyone would do that in retaliation and
that would kill the kraut car exports stone dead and the krauts
arent actually stupid enough to allow that to happen.

That would decimate our agricultural industry in short order.

Why ?

Indeed, given that Britain already has zero tariffs with the
whole of the ****ing EU and that hasnt produced that result
even tho much of the trade with the EU is in agriculture.

And pretty well all others too. Because the likelihood is other countries
will put tariffs on our goods regardless of what we do. In the absence of
any trade agreement, other than WTO.

So what if tarrifs are put on our goods ?

Not possible to do that selectively by country under the WTO rules.

Sure, the EU could certainly do that with say cheddar
cheese and single malt scotch which hardly anyone
else produces much of, but its hardly a huge part
of the total trade Britain does with the EU.

The EU certainly isnt going to do it with aircraft engines
and wings, because that would kill Airbus, the EU's only
really important industrial industry now apart from cars.

If you do understand this how about some examples.

It might well kill some sectors like say lamb for eating
because they wouldnt be able to compete with NZ's
much more efficient industry and maybe dairy too, but
thats hardly a very important part of Britain's economy.

And consumers would get cheaper food if the
high cost producers in Britain went bust anyway.