Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim... wrote:

UK tariffs are down to the UK.

agreed

We can apply any tariff we like within the WTO rules to any cou7ntry
we like. So, tax EU lamb, but not New Zealand lamb.

No we can't, that's the point

we tax all lamb or no lamb, you cannot pick and choose where it comes
from when applying tariffs

False!

Its true under the WTO rules, but a country can do that with
an agreement between the countrys involved, Britain and NZ
in this case and there is obviously an incentive to have one
from the point of view of both countrys with that example.

But there wouldnt be any point in taxing EU lamb, just have
no tariff on lamb imports and EU lamb can't even hope to
compete with NZ lamb because the tiny little EU producers
have MUCH higher costs than NZ producers do.