Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
RJH wrote:
On 24/04/2017 12:46, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
There are no tariffs on stuff we import from the EU.

Of course not. We are still in the EU. It's what the UK government
does
after leaving that is the point.

If the EU slaps a tariff on say Jaguar after we've left, do you
really
think the UK won't on BMW? (Just an example for those who can't
think
for themselves)

They might well. But in whose interest would that be?

You tell me. You are one of those who wanted to leave our free trade
area.
And not having a trade agreement inevitably results in tariffs or duty
etc.

No it doesn't.

You know you're being disingenuous/trolling there. Hypothetically,
you're right - an aggressive militarised superpower might not. But in
reality it will result in a cost, paid either as a duty, tariff, barter
or subscription.

Sadly, it seems to be a standard Brexiteer response to any points brought
up about us leaving the EU. Basically non of the usual tariffs and duties
etc will apply. Such is their brave new world.

the problem is that there are two different points here

Most leavers who say that "tariffs are optional" are usually responding to
the otf claimed nonsense in the press, that leaving the EU will impose
tariffs that WILL put up prices for UK consumers, when that is a complete
falsehood.

That the effect of the EU imposing tariffs on our exports to them may make
trade more difficult is not within the scope of that question and you cannot
extrapolate the answer to the first as the answer to the second.

((I'll grant you that there are a set of people who don't know the
difference, but I can't say that I've noticed any here)

tim