Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford 9N ignition question.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:27:18 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:10:06 -0700 (PDT),

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:25:21 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:19:17 -0700 (PDT),

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser.
THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points
instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.
It is actually a Capacitor.
A rose by any other name - - -

Its just that a condenser also refers to the hot, liquid, high pressure 'low side" of a vehicle's air conditioning system. Its not always a good idea to have two different auto parts with the same name.

They've got to do something about "wheel," then. g

I haven't heard "condenser" for "capacitor" for a long time. I'll have to look at my really old engine books to see when it last showed up.

"Points and condenser" disappeared with the electronic ignitions and
fuel injection, THANK CROM! Most had gone away by '85, when I got out
of the biz.

Then there's two different fenders, and two different hoods, dpending
where you are in the world.

Are you gushing over guitars and bashing bonnets, boy?

--
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they
are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.