Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford 9N ignition question.

Years ago my neighbor and I bought a 9N tractor together. we used the
tractor for many years and then for various reasons we parked it for
several years. Deciding to use it again I wasn't able to get any
spark, even though it worked fine when we parked it. After cleaning
the points I was able to confirm that the points were properly
adjusted and making contact. Opening and closing the points by hand
resulted in an erratic and weak spark. Tracing the really simple
electrics I found that the power from the battery goes through a
ballast resistor. Unlike cars and other vehicles with ballast
resistors that I'm familiar with the ballast resistor is bypassed
during starting. But the old Ford 9N tractor doesn't do this. I ended
up connecting the coil directly to the battery and this resulted in a
pretty good spark. Good enough that the tractor started right up. So
why the ballast resistor? Why would the current need to be limited for
regular operation if the ballast resistor isn't bypassed during
starting? Anyway, I am not going to run the tractor with the ballast
resistor out of the circuit because It is supposed to be there. And
before it was parked for several years it worked just fine. I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.myfordtractors.com/index.shtml

http://www.learnabout-electronics.or.../dc_ccts45.php
The resistor AND a coil designed to generate the spark with a lower
input voltage decreases the time for the magnetic field to build up
when the points close, without overheating the coil from its internal
resistive loss.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

The total resistance is the wiring, the ballast resister , and the resistance of the coil primary. If all the resistance was zero, the current would initially be controlled by the inductance of the coil, but would be high and burn the points. Some coil essentially have a built in ballast resistor and do not need or use an external ballast resistor.

When you are starting the engine the voltage is lower. So if you short out the ballast resistor it is closer to how it is when the engine is running. So even with the lower voltage when starting , you get a good spark.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser. THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points instead of at the spark plug.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:35:14 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Is it still running the original 6 volt electrical system, or has it
been converted to 12 volts? If switched to 12 it is a voltage dropping
resistor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Round or square coil? Square coil used a resistor, round coils did
not. Measure primary resistance of the coil.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 16:40:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

The total resistance is the wiring, the ballast resister , and the resistance of the coil primary. If all the resistance was zero, the current would initially be controlled by the inductance of the coil, but would be high and burn the points. Some coil essentially have a built in ballast resistor and do not need or use an external ballast resistor.

When you are starting the engine the voltage is lower. So if you short out the ballast resistor it is closer to how it is when the engine is running. So even with the lower voltage when starting , you get a good spark.

Dan

I know about the shorting Dan, read my post that you replied to a
little more carefully. I wanted to know why the ballast is there when
it is never bypassed. dbp sent me a link and now I understand.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Everything is original. But now I know why the ballast resistor is
there and I am convinced that the poor spark is just from bad
connections. I suspected the condenser but the points aren't making
big sparks like they do when the condenser is bad.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser.
THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points
instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 18:06:07 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It also slows the burn-up rate of the contact points. I remember very
well when a tuneup lasted only 6,000 miles. I made a living from it.

Hey IGGY, got any of those tractor manuals on your site?

--
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they
are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections
somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed
the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad
condenser.
THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points
instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC)
in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.

================

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...nimation_3.gif
The green lines are energy stored as magnetic field in the coil, the
black ones are energy stored as electric charge in the capacitor. The
oscillating transfer of energy between them is similar to a swinging
pendulum that swaps its energy between speed in the middle and height
at the ends.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:35:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/25/2017 11:56 AM, wrote:
... I suspected the condenser but the points aren't making
big sparks like they do when the condenser is bad.

If the "condenser" were open, you'd get big sparks. But if the
condenser is bad shorted, or nearly so, you'd get a weak spark at the
plug and no spark at the points.

Last night I cleaned some of the connections in the ignition circuit.
I started the tractor using the "hot wired" connection first just to
make sure the tractor would start. I let it run for less than 10
seconds and shut it off. After removing the hot wire that went
directly from the battery to the coil I tried starting the tractor the
normal way and it lit right up. It looks like plain old corrosiion
problems because the tractor sat for so long without being started.
The original wiring harness has been repaired a wire at a time by
previous owners and is kind of a kluge. Even though it all works the
ammeter has always been bypassed. I don't even know if it works. So
I'm gonna order today a new wiring harness and ammeter because the
ammeter looks like it has corroded inside. It's amazing how much stuff
is still available brand new for the old Ford 9N, 2N, and 8N tractors.
The only part I haven't been able to find new is the tube which
carries the spark plug wires. I wonder why since everything else seems
to be available. Even new engines. About 18 years ago the hydraulic
piston assembly under the seat on this tractor needed to be replaced.
I ordered one from a catalog and was surprised at first that it was
made in Taiwan. Thinking about it made me realize that it made perfec
sense as these tractors and the nearly identical Ferguson tractors
were sold world wide.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:49:21 -0700, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:35:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/25/2017 11:56 AM,
wrote:
[...]

And are still widely in use, world wide.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:25:21 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:19:17 -0700 (PDT),

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think
the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser.
THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points
instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.

It is actually a Capacitor.
A rose by any other name - - -

Its just that a condenser also refers to the hot, liquid, high pressure 'low side" of a vehicle's air conditioning system. Its not always a good idea to have two different auto parts with the same name.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

They've got to do something about "wheel," then. g

I haven't heard "condenser" for "capacitor" for a long time. I'll have to look at my really old engine books to see when it last showed up.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:10:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Then there's two different fenders, and two different hoods,
dpending
where you are in the world.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ays-of-electro
"Not that anyone cares, but "condenser" seems to have faded from use
from the mid 1930s through about 1950. Dubilier was using capacitor by
1940 but Allied catalogs didn't switch to capacitor until around
1950."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:51:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

NAPA / Echlin was still using Condenser in 1998 (their catalog U138)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

It hung on later in reference to car ignotion, though. I remember seeing it in some tune-up manuals from the early '60s.

I really don't want to go into that corner of the attic but maybe I'll get to it. g

--
Ed Hunress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Condensor is the old Latin name for them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:27:18 -0400, wrote:

[...]

"Points and condenser" disappeared with the electronic ignitions and
fuel injection, THANK CROM! Most had gone away by '85, when I got out
of the biz.

Then there's two different fenders, and two different hoods, dpending
where you are in the world.

Are you gushing over guitars and bashing bonnets, boy?

--
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they
are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:00:38 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:51:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

I know the condenser is a capacitor. But when you say "I replaced the
points and capacitor" people look at you strange. So when I am doing a
tune up on a points ignition vehicle I replace the condenser. When
anything else I say capacitor.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:51:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

I recall my ham radio mentor, and others using the term back in the
late 1960s. And of course..car mechanics even today.

---