Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim[_63_] Jim[_63_] is offline

Default Rockler HVLP Sprayer

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 2:57:00 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2017 10:18 AM, Steve wrote:
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:49:58 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Hi Steve,

I assume you use this or one like this.

I have on many occasions considered using this type equipment in
the last 30 years. I had a terrible experience with a Wagner
Airless sprayer 30+ years ago.

Anyway, How much trouble is it to clean these/this sprayers?

Is this unit good enough to deliver a fine finish on relatively
fine furniture, bare wood?

I have to admit, Leon, I use no such thing, I just noticed that
others were asking. Personally, I'm a Purdy guy, especially when it
comes to clearcoats. I'll use a white bristle, but I especially like
the Purdy OxO line for thinner clears like lacquers & varnishes.

I got my start in construction and real estate generally as a
housepainter, and I did a lot of upscale homes in greater Boston.
(What else was I supposed to do with a liberal arts degree??)
Anyway, I have tried them, seen them used, and I have also worked in
lumber yards/paint stores that sold them. I'm not speaking on behalf
of the Rockler unit, but generally they can be trouble.

As an analogy, working with them is like using a 2 cycle engine-- if
you're not using it all the time, the ethanol is going to tear up
your carbs; the residue is going to clog your tips; if you ARE
using them all the time, then you know what you're doing, how to
clean, what degree to thin the fluid to, and what sort of stippling
you'll get out of it. The challenge for most of us is getting to the
point of being proficient or better at spraying with them.

Units like these, I know guys who use them all the time, but STILL
backbrush their clearcoats. It's going to depend on one's proficiency
and level of detail.

Maybe Rockler would be open to an in-store demo.

Thank you Steve.

If anybody does get one I would love to hear a review.