Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

So did you base your choice of car on the 0-60 time then ?

That was one of the considerations.

So there were others then ... number of seats, top speed, number of doors, colour ?

All apart from the colour, yes.

Well at least that makes some sense.

Anyway, if I want to change the battery, it's handy to see the Ah and voltage on the back of it so I can get the right one to replace it.

In most phones and even laptops now you can't change the battery.

Bull****. You mean they don't want you to change it. Anything can be opened.

and anything can be damaged.
With yuor skills of size judgement and distance I doubt you;d get the right one anyway.

I've never failed to open a device without breaking it.

Doesn't suprise me.

I made that decision when they launched the Mac Classic. Far too big to use for a doorstop, people fall over them.

You fall over just about anything. Maybe a Mac classic would be too big for your feet to miss it, but as you say so are door frames.

I just don't like confined spaces.

Mac classics are quite confined and a small footprint, far smaller than PCs of the time.

Yip, another reason they were useless. Tiny screen.

a 9 inch screen tiny, most phones are less than half that.

Which is why I use a phone to call and text, not use the internet or write a Word document.

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Most of those shipped went to landfill anyway, they never got put into use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-phones.html

That's BROKEN ones.

They weren't broken before they were shipped that's the point.

They were in the article. They're talking about recycling unwanted ****ed up stuff that would have gone in a landfill here before they invented recycling.

No this is after inventing recycling in fact some componies that charged money for their old stuff to be collected. It's still happening today and it'll happen tomorrow and next week. We sometimes call this fly tipping in that someone that has been paid to take stuff away and dispose of it properly is lying.
It happens les sin the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?
Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

So what happened to the £20 per item PCs how do you know they are still working ?

What? I don't care what they're doing, they're given to other people.

SO you can't know they were used at all.
Why give £20 to someone to throw it in the recycling bin can't you do that yourself ?

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed. we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

You should be carful throwing out macs they have a far better resale value that the majority of same age PCs do.

I put the coloured translucent Imacs on ebay actually. £40 each in about 2009. And you couldn't hurl those ones, the handles were too flimsy.

Yes those handles were really meant to carry the imac without supporing it from underneath, there was a small trade in those imacs as cat baskets.

Stupid design. I often carried two.

why do that ?

20 of them to take from one end of the corridor to the other.

Oh I thought this was because smarphone screens are too small so you were using two 15" iMacs.

10 trips or 20? Easy decision. Although I'd often wait till breaktime and grab a load of kids to carry them.

That sounds a much better idea, but then again I use trollies, the largest I have could hold about 8 iMacs. I typically put -12 PCs on our largest trolly
sod walking back and forth carrying 50 PCs with monitors & kb's & mice power leads etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEoDuy66XM

I wonder why that video got thumbs downs?

pretty shaky video and for doing stuff like that it wouldn't have been too much effort to have a steady camera do the filming.

Only slightly shaky. Youtube can remove that anyway.

Then he should select that option it can be quite annoying watchb a video like that when it could so easily be fixed.