Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT The Austin Brexit

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
RJH wrote:
On 25/04/2017 22:45, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir
Campestris wrote:

Go on, then. Give us some real world examples.

Two developed countries with no trade agreement at all produce a
similar
thing. Lets say wheat. And it can be freely traded either way.

Since without an agreement there are WTO limited tariffs you have
carefully excluded all possibilities. It's like asking for dry water.

The Remoaner view is that there can be no agreement, and so trade will
be impossible; the Brexiteer that there will be no tariffs. I suggest
the final result will be somewhere in between.

That there will be no tariffs is not my view. I'm just pointing out
that no tariffs is a possibility.

No, you said they're a possibility the UK might choose. You're just
creating vacuous arguments to set out a fundamental position, then
backtracking on the detail. Just say you don't know and stick to your
principles. Others may or may not join the dots for you.

The UK (post Brexit) would be totally mad to allow in all imports
free of tariffs. As that would inevitably decimate what remaining
production we have. We are a high cost country, so can't compete
on price alone with those who have lower production costs.

Furiously 'living' in the past, as always. Britain produces **** all that
can be protected by tariffs anymore and clearly Britain has done fine
with no tariffs or dutys on stuff that moves between Britain and the EU.

And consumers would be a hell of a lot better off if they could
buy food from low cost producers from places like New Zealand
like they used to do before Britain joined the EEC.

Britain produces **** all in the way of consumer goods anymore,
so it makes no sense to have tariffs on stuff like phones and the vast
amount of stuff that is produced in low cost countrys like china now.

And, of course, the same applies to other countries
too. They won't allow in UK products tariff/duty free
if in competition with things they produce locally.

Most of them do, most obviously with the whole ****ing EU.

Hardly any of the ex colonial countrys or the current commonwealth
apply tariffs to what comes from Britain anymore.

Or simply just to generate income for that state.

Hardly anyone operates like that now.

So the only way forward if turning our back totally on the EU

No one who matters is suggesting anything of the sort.

is to form new trade agreements with other countries.

Makes a lot more sense to trade under the WTO rules in the mean time.

Something the leave lot said would be easy to do.

A few of them did, but most of those are so ignorant of the
real world that they don’t even realise that Britain is free to
operate under BY FAR the most comprehensive trade agreement
the world has EVER seen, the WTO without negotiating with
anyone, because that’s all been done, decades ago now and
keeps getting tweaked as required even now.

And that was simply a lie, as with so much else of their dogma.

Like hell it is with the WTO.