Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford 9N ignition question.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:35:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/25/2017 11:56 AM, wrote:
... I suspected the condenser but the points aren't making
big sparks like they do when the condenser is bad.

If the "condenser" were open, you'd get big sparks. But if the
condenser is bad shorted, or nearly so, you'd get a weak spark at the
plug and no spark at the points.

Last night I cleaned some of the connections in the ignition circuit.
I started the tractor using the "hot wired" connection first just to
make sure the tractor would start. I let it run for less than 10
seconds and shut it off. After removing the hot wire that went
directly from the battery to the coil I tried starting the tractor the
normal way and it lit right up. It looks like plain old corrosiion
problems because the tractor sat for so long without being started.
The original wiring harness has been repaired a wire at a time by
previous owners and is kind of a kluge. Even though it all works the
ammeter has always been bypassed. I don't even know if it works. So
I'm gonna order today a new wiring harness and ammeter because the
ammeter looks like it has corroded inside. It's amazing how much stuff
is still available brand new for the old Ford 9N, 2N, and 8N tractors.
The only part I haven't been able to find new is the tube which
carries the spark plug wires. I wonder why since everything else seems
to be available. Even new engines. About 18 years ago the hydraulic
piston assembly under the seat on this tractor needed to be replaced.
I ordered one from a catalog and was surprised at first that it was
made in Taiwan. Thinking about it made me realize that it made perfec
sense as these tractors and the nearly identical Ferguson tractors
were sold world wide.
Eric