Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Happy Easter Everyone!

On 4/25/2017 6:59 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:55:27 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/17/2017 2:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 1:49:31 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:04:47 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 3:33:03 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:32:55 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Tax is evil and wrong. Anybody who evades it is a hero.

Some taxes are. How you you pay for the highways and bridges we need to
travel? Police protection?

I never asked for those things. You should pay for what you want to use, not just throw it into a general fund for the government to decide what to spend it on. Why should I pay for other people's kids to be educated?

Ah. I know that one. So that you'll have doctors and nurses
and engineers and stuff to take care of things for you.

Private medicine?

Any medicine. Unless you think an illiterate doctor is
a good idea.

Engineers?!?

Sure. You don't want just any jackhole designing bridges,
dams, and brake controllers, do you?

Cindy Hamilton

Lot of us paid for our own technical education.

As did I. But we wouldn't have gotten that technical education
if we hadn't had primary and secondary education.

Don't get me wrong. I think there are two main problems with
education in America:

1. Parents. If it's not the ones who don't think it's important
that their kids show up to school prepared to learn, it's the ones
who think the rules don't apply to their precious little flowers.

2. Schools of Education, and by extension, the requirements for
obtaining a teaching certificate. Teachers should first and foremost
have a degree in a real discipline such as math, English, or one of
the sciences (including the fuzzy disciplines like history), and then
take training to present their knowledge in a classroom.

Really, I blame Women's Lib. We used to get a lot of smart women
teaching, and now they're all becoming doctors, lawyers, scientists,
and engineers, and teaching gets the dregs. I finished my B.S. at
school mainly geared toward cranking out teachers, and my classmates
were not the brightest bulbs in the box. I was there because I needed
to take classes in the evening and it was the optimization of "nearby"
and "good enough".

I wouldn't want to go back, though, to when most people thought women
were limited to being nurses, secretaries, or teachers.

Cindy Hamilton

Education system in US is completely out of wack. I blame government
intervention and teachers unions (all municipal unions are at fault).
I've got sons still paying off their student loans for law school after
graduating 20 years ago.

My primary doctor is a young woman and she told me that I would not
believe the amount of student debt her and her husband, also a
physician, owe.