Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Paint.

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But
then I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever.
;-)

Here is something I posted here 4 years ago. I realise it was matt, but
might be relevant. The paint is good as new after 4 years on the pipes.

"My son has bought new primed cast iron drain pipes to replace the 120yo
ones that have rusted away. He wanted to match the original paint, which
was a sort of matt white. I went to a local supplier who provided 5L
"Johnstone's flat oil-based brilliant white".

Son painted 2 coats in his garage and said the paint seemed excellent,
and I admired the results when I visited.

Then on Monday he finally read what it said on the tin and sent me an
email expressing, shall we say, dismay. The tin and the datasheet
say

"A solvent-borne, traditional matt finish formulated for interior
use. Based on an alkyd resin it provides excellent obliteration
and flow characteristics and produces a smooth even finish
with excellent durability".

I rang and spoke to the Johntone's technical support desk, who said the
formulation was exactly what they would use for an exterior paint, and
the reason it said "Interior" was that getting it independently
certified for "Exterior" was a long and expensive process, so hadn't be
done for this paint.
I then asked about yellowing and they said that yellowing would only
take place in low light conditions indoors eg on skirting boards and
that the paint would be fine used externally in natural UV light.

So we have a paint sold as interior that is better as an exterior paint.

I blame the EU."
--
Bill