Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint.

Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood.

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux,
etc. Are they worth it?

Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But then
I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever. ;-)

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood.

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux,
etc. Are they worth it?

Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But then
I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever. ;-)

I normally use Wilco oil based or Johnsons oil based.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux,
etc. Are they worth it?

I used some Bedec Extra-Flex masonry paint about 18 months ago and was
quite impressed. We have a number of fine cracks in the walls which
invariable re-appear quite quickly through normal masonry paint but so
far there's no sign of them re-appearing.

My only criticism is that although described as matt finish it has a
slightly shiny finish which some might not like.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But
then I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever.
;-)

Here is something I posted here 4 years ago. I realise it was matt, but
might be relevant. The paint is good as new after 4 years on the pipes.

"My son has bought new primed cast iron drain pipes to replace the 120yo
ones that have rusted away. He wanted to match the original paint, which
was a sort of matt white. I went to a local supplier who provided 5L
"Johnstone's flat oil-based brilliant white".

Son painted 2 coats in his garage and said the paint seemed excellent,
and I admired the results when I visited.

Then on Monday he finally read what it said on the tin and sent me an
email expressing, shall we say, dismay. The tin and the datasheet
say

"A solvent-borne, traditional matt finish formulated for interior
use. Based on an alkyd resin it provides excellent obliteration
and flow characteristics and produces a smooth even finish
with excellent durability".

I rang and spoke to the Johntone's technical support desk, who said the
formulation was exactly what they would use for an exterior paint, and
the reason it said "Interior" was that getting it independently
certified for "Exterior" was a long and expensive process, so hadn't be
done for this paint.
I then asked about yellowing and they said that yellowing would only
take place in low light conditions indoors eg on skirting boards and
that the paint would be fine used externally in natural UV light.

So we have a paint sold as interior that is better as an exterior paint.

I blame the EU."
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood.

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux,
etc. Are they worth it?

Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But then
I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever. ;-)

An architect friend (who is both a designer and a self
builder/renovator) swears by Bedec paints. I feel he is a bit "green
round the edges" and possibly favours water based paints and it is
possible that within the class of water based paint, Bedec is probably
superior.
Whether it is better than a good oil based paint on well prepared timber
might be debatable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

"A solvent-borne, traditional matt finish formulated for interior
use. Based on an alkyd resin it provides excellent obliteration
and flow characteristics and produces a smooth even finish
with excellent durability".

I rang and spoke to the Johntone's technical support desk, who said the
formulation was exactly what they would use for an exterior paint, and
the reason it said "Interior" was that getting it independently
certified for "Exterior" was a long and expensive process, so hadn't be
done for this paint.
I then asked about yellowing and they said that yellowing would only
take place in low light conditions indoors eg on skirting boards and
that the paint would be fine used externally in natural UV light.

So we have a paint sold as interior that is better as an exterior paint.

So, what is the best interior white gloss and emulsion paint to
avoid yellowing?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah you need the patented process of dipping. First mask off where you don't
want paint, then turn house upside down and dip in a nylon coating solution.
Turn house right way up and leave to dry.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Need to do some external decoration. White gloss on wood.

Toolstation sell Bedec paints which are a lot more expensive than Dulux,
etc. Are they worth it?

Must admit I've never been that impressed with Dulux, in general. But then
I really want a paint which is simple to apply and lasts forever. ;-)

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2017 14:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't mind knowing - I painted some skirting with Dulux 'Once' and
it's distinctly off-white now. Same with their trade emulsion (or maybe
that was Crown - can't remember).

--
Cheers, Rob