Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Library ladder

On 4/17/2017 3:04 PM, wrote:
Wow... a lot of good info flying around today. I will be keeping
that ladder safety pdf. I do some consulting, and that is a great
summary of ladder safety and use.

No kidding! ;~)

Leon, you might want to take a look at the "unistrut" suggestion from
OFWW. Check with your local electrical supply house under the name
of "Kindorf" since that is the way they sell it. I pay about $60 for
a 10' stick, and that would take care of your length. The trolley
wheels make that workable for you as you can modify them to be a face
mount on your ladder itself.

On the backside of the ladder you could mount a couple of workbench
wheels that would allow easy movement of the ladder. Tons of them on
Amazon:

https://goo.gl/aydc19

You could mount some wheels to the bottom of your ladder sides, and
then put some adhesive in the bearings so they didn't swivel, but
rolled freely on a straight line:

https://goo.gl/LLBg0H

You could get these, put rubber feet on the bottom of the sides of
the ladder, and lock them up to move the ladder (3/4" lift) and then
roll your ladder in place. Again, swivel to straight line rolling and
easy cure.

https://goo.gl/GplKkp

If you want an underwire buy 1/4" all thread. HD has it cheap,
something like 3 bucks a stick. You can groove the bottom of your
steps to receive at least part of the radius (or not) and finish the
ends of the all thread with an end cap nut over a washer. Lay out
all your hardware and spray paint it the color you want before
assembly. If you mortise your steps into the sides (really Robert...
it's Leon... it will be dovetail mortised and Dominoed... !!!) then
you can assemble with all thread only and no other attachment needed
except maybe a high viscosity glue for the end grain (step) to long
grain joint above the all thread.

I was actually thinking of using a piece of wood on the back side of the
legs to keep the legs from spreading and to reinforce each step.

One thing I would certainly do that is cheap and easy would be to
build a mock up ladder out of 2X4. That way you can check for
clearance, ease of use, step distances and verify your dimensions.
You could build a lean to mock up with $10 worth of material, and a
nail gun in minutes, knock down after you are happy and use the 2X4
parts for something else.

After considering the weight of about 18' of 1x8 white oak I may just
use 2x4's for the legs and 1x4's for the steps and some knarley nails!
LOL That is a good idea though because the bottom of the latter will
project about 40 inches into the room at the bottom. The ladder will
lean in 27" + the depth of the top cabinets, about 13" and stand off
from the wall..... The weight of the white oak is starting to concern
me and I may have to go with the wheeled route...

I would really love to keep this simple.

Hell I may have to bring the 9' ladder in through the window...;~(

Maybe a remote controlled wench on a ceiling track. I could hook on to
my back belt loop. ;~0

I have to get the cabinets up on the file cabinets and hang the bridge
up over the entry doors first...

Love to see what your final decision will be.

Robert