Doug Miller

Default Please recommend a good basement dehumidifier

In article m, Ketz wrote:

Oh, sorry, the kitchen and bathroom I was referring to is in the
basement, as it's a finished livable space equipped with stove,
refrigerator, microwave, etc. The bathroom is also complete with tub
and shower, etc. There are two small windows, but not in the kitchen
or bathroom areas.

Do you have exhaust fans, vented to the outdoors, in those rooms? If not, you
should.

There isn't any big humidity problem in the rest of the house, just
some in the basement, at times. There was leaking in the basement
years ago but was fixed.

The basement was to be rented out, but is now used as an entertainment
and sometimes guest space. There is a lot of cooking and showering
down there, and that in itself sometimes causes a little mildew/mold
build up around the walls, particularly in those areas.

An exhaust fan removes humid air from the shower *far* more efficiently than a
dehumidifier. Install exhaust fans first, then look at dehumidifiers if you
still have a problem. I've been very happy with my Whirlpool 25-pint unit:
effective, quiet, and not terribly expensive.

--
Regards,