Ketz

Default Please recommend a good basement dehumidifier

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 05:43:56 GMT, "Lamer" wrote:

"Ketz" wrote in message
ws.com...

Thanks in advance for your help.

It really depends on how much your basement leaks. Not only water from the
water table, but in terms of hot air from other areas.

I have a small dehumidifier that does fine for a larger basement than yours.
I just bought the cheapest I could find at Wally World. I have it dump water
directly into my floor drain, so capacity is no issue.

During the winter, humidity is generally not a problem (except too low
humidity). Check the shelves. The store sell humidifuiers in winter.
Dehumidifiers are hard to find.

I guess you need to explain what the problem is. Does your home have wood
construction? Wood has certain humidity levels inherently. Do you really
want to disrupt those? Is it mold, cement problems, cracking walls,
paranoia, what???

a little paranoia, maybe.

Are the kitchen and bathroom in the basement? (doubt it). If so, look at air
leaks to the basement. If not, why blame the basement?

Oh, sorry, the kitchen and bathroom I was referring to is in the
basement, as it's a finished livable space equipped with stove,
refrigerator, microwave, etc. The bathroom is also complete with tub
and shower, etc. There are two small windows, but not in the kitchen
or bathroom areas.

There isn't any big humidity problem in the rest of the house, just
some in the basement, at times. There was leaking in the basement
years ago but was fixed.

The basement was to be rented out, but is now used as an entertainment
and sometimes guest space. There is a lot of cooking and showering
down there, and that in itself sometimes causes a little mildew/mold
build up around the walls, particularly in those areas.

Thank you all.