Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 11:38:02 AM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that
you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a
computer with an
OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud
storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it
out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a
"smart" TV for the same reasons ...

my computer is extremely well protected and I don't do cloud storage,
either. There are numerous way to prevent a computer from sending
ANYTHING back to Microsoft, or any other place. It just takes know-how
and the proper software. Since my first computer in the 1980s I have
never had a virus, or cookies or other software that transmit unwanted
data outside of my machine.

There are many people with computers that are riddled with virus's and
other malware, spyware, etc. I have no pity for them.

He mentions hackers getting into a system. Seems that hackers have
gotten into and can get into just about anything that's connected
to the internet. I doubt his 15 year old XP is any different or
that a Win 10 system with AV software is any more vulnerable.
I mentioned that IDK of any browser that's still supported on XP,
you can probably add antivirus software to the list of things where
less and less companies are supporting it too. I'm sure he'll reply
and say that he has something that's still supported, but the list
is rapidly diminishing.

The privacy issue, I too have turned off the settings available on Win 10
to decrease what MSFT has access to. Wonder if he has a smartphone?
Seems to me that Win 10 is no worse than a smartphone and even on
XP, if you use the typical search engines, etc, that is already sharing
a lot of your info, eg what you're viewing, searching for, etc.