Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:45:58 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Tue, 04
Apr 2017 15:34:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

IDK of any browser company that is still doing updates of any
browsers for XP.

You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will still
support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche' browser.

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

"Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista

Why is Firefox support ending for Windows XP and Vista users?
Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions.
Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista."

I guess if that's reassuring to you, makes you want to invest in
upgrading and running an XP system into the future, be my guest.

And each month, what's left gets further and
further away from working with websites that are updated. I have
an old notebook that I keep as a spare, it has XP on it and I put
Pale Moon on it, that was the last one I know of that was still
supported and they ended support for it last year too.

Can you cite any SPECIFIC websites that I could test with? I surf a
lot of different technical sites primarily and some news sites.. they
all still work. And, I'm not even running v52 series firefox on this
machine. It's using 45.8.0ESR

I was speaking of browsers in general. I've had plenty of experience
with older browsers over the years no longer working with various websites.
I'm running Win 10 and Chrome 99% of the time. I have seen problems with
Chrome on XP on a spare notebook that I use once in awhile. But that
was a year ago, I don't keep a log of which websites it was. But I
switched to Pale Moon on that notebook, because of issues of compatibility and speed.

You may have to go to win 10 to get programs that will work at
speed. One reason I put a computer on win 10 is because Turbo
Tax said they would not support win xp after last year.

Another example.

Not exactly a worthy reason to change out the entire OS. Not when
other options exist, anyhow.

The original context here was *upgrading* a system with a new CPU,
memory, etc with the intention of running XP for the future. That's
a bit different than just changing out the entire OS just to change the
entire OS.