Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 2:00:30 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/05/2017 10:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Experience will of course vary depending on what browser you're using.
I use Chrome mostly, with Pale Moon on the spare XP notebook. And with
whatever version of Chrome still worked on XP, I was starting to see
websites where it would not work. My main
point here is that whatever you're using, IDK of any browser that is
still being updated on XP and as we move forward, it seems odd to be
upgrading a system with the intention of running XP as a general purpose,
typical desktop going forward. It's not going to get more compatible,
only less so.

The current version of Firefox is supported on XP, although it's the
last version to be supported.

FF52 is an "Extended support" version. IIRC, they're providing updates
until fall 2017.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Depends on your definition of "supported". Firefox says you get
security updates until Sept. And again, this is in the
context of *upgrading* the hardware and/or software on an XP
system with the intention of continuing to run it for the future.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Insta...sta/ta-p/31270

Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista

"Why is Firefox support ending for Windows XP and Vista users?
Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions.
Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista.