Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

T wrote:
On 04/02/2017 07:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have
plans to upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know
that the processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs
and all that , but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to
have to rebuild this whole set of programs , address books ,
bookmarks , etc ? Not that I don't have all the software , but it's
a pain in the ass and time consuming to do all that .

Hi Terry,

I have never noticed a speed difference between 32 bit and
64 bit Windows. On Linux yes, it blow your head off, but not
crappy old windows. Windows is poorly written.

Also 64 bit XP was really, really badly done. Most
of everything will stop working correctly for you. 64 bit did
not start okay till Vista and came into its own on Windows 7.

If you a speed increase, trying cloning you
hard drive over to an SSD drive. You will be impressed.

:-)

-T

Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a COA and
disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop (Lenovo/I5) is running .
The only thing I'll lose with that OS is Outlook Express , which I really
really like . I may move to Outlook if it will run in 7 ... That copy of
XP/64 is probably going in a new build on an Asus N68C-GS4FX motherboard
with a Phenom X4 2.3Ghz . That box will become my media server , the current
media server will either be a backup or I may give it to my grandson .
--
Snag