Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Mark Lloyd
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 19:32:52 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/04/2017 11:06 AM, Diesel wrote:

news 01:10:09 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

As far as UEFI and BIOS, you can't switch between them. I have
not

Umm.. Yes, you can in many cases. Generally speaking, UEFI
capable computers do offer 'legacy mode' Er, what you used to
call the BIOS. [g]

A lot of people may be confusing firmware type (BIOS, UEFI) with
disk structure (MBR, GPT).

Some people here seem to be confusing many things concerning
computers and are providing bad advice, to say the least.

As to another limitation, nearly all modern Intel-compatible CPUs
allow access to 64GB RAM in 32-bit mode. It's 32-bit Windows that
REFUSES to use more than about 3.5GB. I've heard of people fixing
that, but it isn't easy.

Yep, it's more of a tech hack or workaround. It's not easy and it's
not that reliable, either.

BTW, I have used 32-bit Linux on a system with 32GB RAM, and it
recognized it all.

Same.