Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

rbowman
Wed, 05 Apr 2017 02:44:50 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/04/2017 11:21 AM, Frank wrote:
Got no real Linux experience but when my Vista computer went
south a few years ago my son could not fix it with even a wipe
and Vista reinstall but got it working with Linux. This was on
his either net at his home but we could not get the wifi hooked
up to in my home. I need to know computers for my consulting
work but don't want to spend all my time working on computers.
Bad enough dealing with software problems that have to be worked
on.

I'm not trying to sell Linux but it has gotten a lot better. The
curve worked out well for me. Linux got to the point where you
didn't have to screw around with it about the same time that I got
thoroughly sick of screwing around with Linux.

Some years ago, I had a local box running an older copy of Redhat. It
required some knowledge to get it to do much of anything a typical
Windows user would want to do.

Things have improved greatly when comparing Linux Mint 17.3 to that
experience. Nearly everything just worked, right out of the box. I had
to tweak samba a bit and add additional firewall rules to ensure only
some computers on the LAN could access my shares, but, otherwise, it's
been a pleasant experience.