Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Oren
Tue, 04 Apr 2017
18:02:35 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I'm planning to pull the HDD from my bride's old Vista PC and make
an external drive. Buy a cable and box for the drive. And use it
to backup her Win10 machine. The drive is still good. Then sell
or donate the PC. So far no complaints from her on Win10. Just
some slight learning her way around. Me too.

So you're both okay with the telemetry and key logging it performs?
You can turn some of it off, but, not all. And, at any time, a
'windows update' may reset the settings back to default. IE: spyware
functions restored. You may want to take a closer look
at the service agreement you accepted as part of the installation
process.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

And then you have seperate issues with the new 'edge' browser.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...lso-new-risks/

https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how...n-advertising/

Do you really like the idea of advertising built into your OS? Free
upgrade or paid edition makes no difference...I personally think we
deal with enough advertising in our faces just by surfing the web.

I've been using Linux Mint locally for nearly a year now and it
hasn't foist a single piece of advertising on me yet. Most of the
computers on my network now run Linux in one flavor or another. I'm
about to build another box for file serving needs of the network.
I may run Cent7 for that one.

I also have various flavers (versions) of Windows running in VM so
that I can continue providing tech support without actually having
to purpose a specific machine for the task. I'm not trying to
convert you or anyone else though, Despite the stabiliy offered with
Linux Mint that has ben missing from MS offers for years.

You don't need to go thru all that hassle to use the drive
externally. I have several USB based drive connection kits that
allow me to take IDE and sata as well as the laptop interface
version of the same and turn the drive into an external. They come
in quite handy for diagnostics and repair outside of the machine,
itself. Especially useful for malware and data recovery. Without the
host OS being operational to try and thwart my efforts, depending on
the malware in question.