Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Frank "frank news Apr 2017 17:21:10 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Got no real Linux experience but when my Vista computer went south
a few years ago my son could not fix it with even a wipe and Vista
reinstall but got it working with Linux. This was on his either
net at his home but we could not get the wifi hooked up to in my
home. I need to know computers for my consulting work but don't
want to spend all my time working on computers. Bad enough
dealing with software problems that have to be worked on.

Hmm. Sounds like it may have been a driver issue. If it was actually
hardware related, linux should have failed to work as well.

When things slow down, I always up grade memory. Hardest I did on
TRS80 upgrading from 16k to 64k where some diodes had to be
snipped. Now you can buy 4gigs for about the same price and just
snap them in.

I had the coco3. [g] I did purchase the 512k expansion board.
Installed it myself. Wasn't difficult, mind you. The only slight pain
in the ass I remember about the setup was the FD-502 double deck
floppy drive. If you added the secondary drive, you had to snip a
resistor free. Otherwise, it wasn't a bad machine.

My Vista was maxed out and I ended up tossing it.

Pending no serious hardware issues, and a reasonable cpu (you didn't
provide specs, so...), I would have likely repurposed it with another
os for a dedicated task. Say a file server for the local network. Or,
perhaps an audio/video playback machine. Like, a jukebox.