Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:25:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 11:03:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I have a lot more trouble with ad blockers on web sites than I do
because Firefox won't open them. In fact I have not had that problem
at all.

Experience will of course vary depending on what browser you're using.
I use Chrome mostly, with Pale Moon on the spare XP notebook. And with
whatever version of Chrome still worked on XP, I was starting to see
websites where it would not work. My main
point here is that whatever you're using, IDK of any browser that is
still being updated on XP and as we move forward, it seems odd to be
upgrading a system with the intention of running XP as a general purpose,
typical desktop going forward. It's not going to get more compatible,
only less so.

I have not found anything that Firefox would not open but more and
more are rejecting Adblock.
I just loaded XP on an i5 laptop that came without any COA for 7 (the
system it was sold with). It is working OK. One tip, if you do not
load SP3, microsoft will not talk to it. SP2 just says, "cannot
connect". Once you get up on SP3 it flies through and I got 155
updates that night.
They do not seem to be doing the hardware checks either. If you have a
valid number, it goes even if you just used that one yesterday on
another system.
I saw an article that said, analysing internet logons, there are over
100 million XP systems still running out there (7-8% of all PCs). That
does not include imbedded systems and machines that are not on the
internet like all of those industrial applications (ATMs, cash
registers, CnC controllers etc)