Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Oren
Mon, 03 Apr 2017
21:53:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:57:08 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:00:38 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

What y'all are not understanding is that I don't want W10 , I
wish
to stay with XP Pro . I MIGHT consider going to 64 bit W7 Pro ,
but nothing newer . I have on hand a 64 bit Vista copy , but
Vista was such a dog ... and a copy of XP Pro 64 bit is on it's
way , should arrive today .

Just a couple of comments. People can correct me but my
experience, XP still has a bunch of 16 bit code when MSFT first
moved to "NT" (New Technology) The 32 bit code still allows some
16 & 8 bit programs to run.

About XP (NT) you can do two or three things: Give it as much
RAM as you can and more drive space (larger). If you have a
separate secondary drive, set that drive for your swap file. A
single drive has to work harder swapping memory to the single
drive.

"More RAM -- More Drive". That's my story and I'm stickin' to
it.

OK , after a bit of a ****up updating the bios (wrong version
for this
processor , LAN quit working), I'm running again with the 1.8 quad
core phenom . I already have as much RAM as 32 bit XP will see ,
but setting the swap file to a different drive than the OS is
intriguing ... This box has a total of 1.5 Tb of storage in a pair
of 250's and a single 1 Tb drive (which was the other thing that
was affected by me loading the wrong BIOS) that has all my video
and music content on it .
So tell me more about how to set the swap file to a different
drive ...

Aw man. Been many years. See if this link helps.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-change-the-swap-file-settings.html

If you have an empty secondary drive give the swap file everything
you can. It will be independent of the primary drive so you get a
boost in performance.

Maybe. Depends on the hd configuration to the mainboard. Are both
drives sharing the same data cable? If they're IDE based and one is
master/slave, you need to seperate them to seperate channels for full
speed, for what little it counts compared to SATA.

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get