Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OS upgrades

In article ,
says...

+1 I can't get my bride to learn Windows OS. "I don't want to know.
I just want it to do stuff", she tells me. I did move her to Win10
last week with a new machine so she is a little bit familiar, at least
in a Windows environment.

That is the way I feel. I don't want to learn the OS either. I just
want it to run the programs I want. Seems like that in order to get
lots of programs I want to run, I have to do some edditing of the OS.

I am not new to computers, having had a TRS 80. and one of each of the
IBM type processors except the 286. Skipped over that one.

When I got started seems like there was a push to get people to learn
BASIC. I thought at that time, it was useless for most to know anything
about that. Just learn the programs.

I had to learn lots of the systems in the first years just to get a
sound card, modem, or a cd to even work. It was plug, look for jumpers,
load in several driver type programs, and then hope something would work
without screwing up another device.