Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:57:08 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:00:38 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

What y'all are not understanding is that I don't want W10 , I wish
to stay with XP Pro . I MIGHT consider going to 64 bit W7 Pro , but
nothing newer . I have on hand a 64 bit Vista copy , but Vista was
such a dog ... and a copy of XP Pro 64 bit is on it's way , should
arrive today .

Just a couple of comments. People can correct me but my experience, XP
still has a bunch of 16 bit code when MSFT first moved to "NT" (New
Technology) The 32 bit code still allows some 16 & 8 bit programs to
run.

About XP (NT) you can do two or three things: Give it as much RAM as
you can and more drive space (larger). If you have a separate
secondary drive, set that drive for your swap file. A single drive has
to work harder swapping memory to the single drive.

"More RAM -- More Drive". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

OK , after a bit of a ****up updating the bios (wrong version for this
processor , LAN quit working), I'm running again with the 1.8 quad core
phenom . I already have as much RAM as 32 bit XP will see , but setting the
swap file to a different drive than the OS is intriguing ... This box has a
total of 1.5 Tb of storage in a pair of 250's and a single 1 Tb drive (which
was the other thing that was affected by me loading the wrong BIOS) that has
all my video and music content on it .
So tell me more about how to set the swap file to a different drive ...

Aw man. Been many years. See if this link helps.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-change-the-swap-file-settings.html

If you have an empty secondary drive give the swap file everything you
can. It will be independent of the primary drive so you get a boost
in performance.