Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:23:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Well , if it's gotta be a clean install I might as well start
off with a clean hdd ... and I have a new 320 WD on hand for it .
The Plan is to bump this mobo ( Asus M2A-VM) to the max 8 Gb RAM
with 4 x 2 Gb sticks , switch to a Phenom X4 2.3 Ghz processor and
update the BIOS . I just built one on an Asrock N68C-GS4 FX with a
1.8 Phenom/4Gb/32 bit and an hdd that already had XP Pro loaded and
it seems significantly faster than this 2.6 dual core Athlon . That
one is going to my shop to replace the one that died recently . All
but that last one are boxes that are older than 10 years , with no
significant upgrades since they were built . It's not that this one
won't do the job , it just isn't fast enough any more with the more
graphic/data intense web sites . It's just the same as your "stuff"
expanding to fill all available space , as capability increases
they will expand to use it . Oh , and I've got a couple of 1T
drives for storage , seemed like I needed the space for my "stuff"

If you are going to go to all that, you may be better off going to
ebay and buying a whole computer. Get one with a faster processor
and more memory and win 10 already on it.
I have not checked lately, but about a year ago I wanted to get the
win 10 for free, so bought a computer with win 7 pro on it and
upgraded to win 10. Now the free upgrade is out of date, you should
be able to fine a computer with win 10 already on it. If you want
to stay with XP you can probably find a fast xp computer. Eithe way
will probably be less than $ 150.

That was my first thought ..
.. buy a $ 99. desktop Canadian dollars !
with Win 10 Pro 64 bit - here's just one example ..

http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/pcsales.php

John T.

What y'all are not understanding is that I don't want W10 , I wish to stay
with XP Pro . I MIGHT consider going to 64 bit W7 Pro , but nothing newer .
I have on hand a 64 bit Vista copy , but Vista was such a dog ... and a
copy of XP Pro 64 bit is on it's way , should arrive today .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com