Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

rbowman wrote:
On 04/02/2017 08:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have
plans to upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know
that the processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs
and all that , but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to
have to rebuild this whole set of programs , address books ,
bookmarks , etc ? Not that I don't have all the software , but it's
a pain in the ass and time consuming to do all that .

The 64 bit will be a clean install so prepare for a pain in the ass.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...4f450f5ee=True

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179...d-a-usb-drive/

They're talking about XP to 7 but it should work for XP to XP. Your 64
bit install will have two directories;

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)

with the 32 bit installs going into (x86). To further confuse the
issue
C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64

With fantastic M$ logic, the 64bit dlls etc go into system32 and the
32 bit ones go into SysWOW64. WOW64 -- Windows (32) On Windows 64.
Think of it as an emulator for the 64 bit machine to run 32 bit
binaries.
All your 32 bit stuff will run but I don't think it will be too pretty
getting there. We've got a few boxes left that have XP32 running on 64
bit hardware and XP64 on 64 bit hardware but we've never tried to
migrate a 32 to 64. Actually if you don't have more than 3GB of RAM
and less than 1TB disks you're not buying much as far as I've ever
been able to tell.

Well , if it's gotta be a clean install I might as well start off with a
clean hdd ... and I have a new 320 WD on hand for it . The Plan is to bump
this mobo ( Asus M2A-VM) to the max 8 Gb RAM with 4 x 2 Gb sticks , switch
to a Phenom X4 2.3 Ghz processor and update the BIOS . I just built one on
an Asrock N68C-GS4 FX with a 1.8 Phenom/4Gb/32 bit and an hdd that already
had XP Pro loaded and it seems significantly faster than this 2.6 dual core
Athlon . That one is going to my shop to replace the one that died recently
.. All but that last one are boxes that are older than 10 years , with no
significant upgrades since they were built . It's not that this one won't do
the job , it just isn't fast enough any more with the more graphic/data
intense web sites . It's just the same as your "stuff" expanding to fill all
available space , as capability increases they will expand to use it . Oh ,
and I've got a couple of 1T drives for storage , seemed like I needed the
space for my "stuff" ...
--
Snag

---