Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Mon, 03 Apr 2017 03:53:09 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:58:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have
plans to
upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know that
the processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs and
all that , but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to have
to rebuild this whole set of programs , address books , bookmarks
, etc ? Not that I don't have all the software , but it's a pain
in the ass and time consuming to do all that .

Upgrading from 32 to 64 bit will require a complete rebuild of
the
system - save all your data and make sure you have all your
install disks. Running 1 program at a time you will see NO
performance improvement. If you don't increase the ram you will
see no improvement. If running multiple programs, and you put in
more than 4GB of ram, you will see a performance improvement.
You'll see a lot more improvement going to Windows 10 32 on 4GB of
ram. I've got it running on an ATOM powered ZG5 Acer Aspire One
netbook and it is significantly faster than the XP it came with.,
with only 1GB of ram.

If you want to see an even faster box, give Linux a try. I've got one
box left that actually runs Windows (XP) as it's native OS. I fully
intend to convert the last remaining non Linux machine on this
network to linux. And keep various flavors of Windows as VMs only;
for technical support and repairs. I'm a certified computer tech
(with two honorary masters) by trade, so I'm forced to keep Windows
around to provide technical support for clients. The remaining ones
that aren't ready/possibly never will be ready to goto greenier
pastures. Linux is so much easier to maintain and support from
malware/browser hijack POV. While it's certainly not impossible to
hijack a Linux box, it's much more difficult than it is a Windows
(pick a flavor) box.

Currently, I settled on Linux Mint v17.3. I have some running MATE's
desktop, and others running KDE. KDE spoils me. I'm waiting until the
v18 series matures a bit more before I take the plunge, because with
the KDE boxes, there's no simple upgrade path. It's copy your stuff
to external media and reload. An upgrade path supposedly exists for
Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce, etc, but another poster who runs one of those
reported that for whatever reason, his machine cannot go the simple
upgrade route either. He's 'stuck' like my KDE boxes.

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get