Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OS upgrades

On 04/02/2017 08:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have plans to
upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know that the
processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs and all that ,
but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to have to rebuild this whole
set of programs , address books , bookmarks , etc ? Not that I don't have
all the software , but it's a pain in the ass and time consuming to do all
that .

The 64 bit will be a clean install so prepare for a pain in the ass.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...4f450f5ee=True

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179...d-a-usb-drive/

They're talking about XP to 7 but it should work for XP to XP. Your 64
bit install will have two directories;

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)

with the 32 bit installs going into (x86). To further confuse the issue

C:\Windows\system32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64

With fantastic M$ logic, the 64bit dlls etc go into system32 and the 32
bit ones go into SysWOW64. WOW64 -- Windows (32) On Windows 64. Think of
it as an emulator for the 64 bit machine to run 32 bit binaries.

All your 32 bit stuff will run but I don't think it will be too pretty
getting there. We've got a few boxes left that have XP32 running on 64
bit hardware and XP64 on 64 bit hardware but we've never tried to
migrate a 32 to 64. Actually if you don't have more than 3GB of RAM and
less than 1TB disks you're not buying much as far as I've ever been able
to tell.