Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:58:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have plans to
upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know that the
processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs and all that ,
but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to have to rebuild this whole
set of programs , address books , bookmarks , etc ? Not that I don't have
all the software , but it's a pain in the ass and time consuming to do all
that .

Upgrading from 32 to 64 bit will require a complete rebuild of the
system - save all your data and make sure you have all your install
disks. Running 1 program at a time you will see NO performance
improvement. If you don't increase the ram you will see no
improvement. If running multiple programs, and you put in more than
4GB of ram, you will see a performance improvement. You'll see a lot
more improvement going to Windows 10 32 on 4GB of ram. I've got it
running on an ATOM powered ZG5 Acer Aspire One netbook and it is
significantly faster than the XP it came with., with only 1GB of ram.