Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default The filthy sluts kittens

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 08:38:56 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , ARW
writes
On 31/03/2017 22:09, Graeme wrote:

When I pop out to the shops, she will sit by the
gate until I return. A cat would just open one eye then go back to
sleep :-)

In winter my cat goes round to the next door but one neighbours when I
am at work and my central heating is off - before falling asleep on
their setee next to the radiator.

grin I was going to say cats are more intelligent than dogs, but that
isn't true.

Apparently, dogs are the only animal species that have learned to read
'Left Gaze Bias' (the idea being the right side of our faces more
accurately reflect our moods). So, dogs are bight enough to work this
out because their survival (these days) depends on them pleasing us.
Just the sort of ability most would want from an animal that was
supposed to be a companion 'to / for us'.

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2009/12...elate-to-dogs/

Cats are more cunning? Crafty? Self sufficient?

And often arrogant and spiteful ... probably because they (many)
aren't and don't want to be 'companion animals'.

Our dog
will always choose the warmest spot, but only within the room we're in.

Agreed. Being close to us is what they are about.

Cat would just find the warmest spot anywhere.

Often somewhere you would prefer it not to be, like on your laptop or
on top of the tropical fish tank or food preparation surfaces.

Of course, what we actually see from our individual animals can vary
quite a bit. Of our last 3 (rescue) dogs (whippet terrier, pedigree
whippet and lurcher), the whippet terrier was the most 'switched on'
and I really believe had been here before. She would walk to heel and
seem to actually understand everything you said. She was also very
protective of us and our property and would even protect food from the
other two. ;-)

The whippet was more like a cat (and not typical of the many whippets
our family have had) in that it would generally go along with what was
going on but didn't really 'fetch' or be that bothered about being
with us, as long as she knew we were around.

The lurcher was just dopey and would generally just chase the whippet
terrier if we threw the ball for them all. However, he was the fastest
thing we have seen on 4 legs. ;-)

None of them *ever* bit (in ~15 years) or intentionally scratched
anyone, especially someone showing them some attention. If they were
being 'messed about' by say a young child who didn't really know how
to treat an animal the most they would do is initially look at me as
if to say 'how long do I need to put up with this' and then if we
didn't step in, gently move away (as I'm sure *some* cats might do).

If the Mrs left our daughter in her play pen in the lounge whilst
doing something in the kitchen, the whippet terrier would stand in the
mouth of the lounge and constantly look at the baby and the Mrs as if
to say 'she's still asleep or ok' and would only settle when one of us
came back into the lounge.

Cheers, T i m