Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default The filthy sluts kittens

On 31/03/2017 22:09, Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes

I'm not saying that (some) cats can't be good companions because
they obviously are to many, but they can only be such to a lower
level than of a dog from a more general understand of the term for
the reasons you give.

I agree with Adam that, to a certain extent, one's choice of pet is,
or should be, dependant on lifestyle. I was an unashamed cat person
for 50+ years, which was great. Cats are self sufficient, and I was
out at work all day. It worked for both of us.

Agreed (whilst retaining the consideration of just how much a cat could
ever be as a 'companion pet' etc).

As a kid and a day on the coast (Gravesend) with my parents I spotted an
injured rock dove, managed to catch it and ignoring my parents requests
to leave it where it was, I took it home. I took it to the vet and they
put a tie around the broken part of her wing and after a week or so it
fell off. I built her a cat proof roost at the bottom of the garden and
she soon became sufficiently tame to step onto my hand and even stay on
my shoulder I whilst I walked about locally. This included the local
petrol station / garage.

After a good 6 months a cousin came to visit and long short, he threw
her into the air and much to my and her surprise, she flapped up onto
the house roof. However, after a while she flew back down to her roots
and whilst she continues 'doing her own thing', she would still step
onto my hand / shoulder. Then we went on holiday and when we came back
she had gone, but the guy in the garage next door said she had been in
there looking for me. So, I 'get' what it's like to befriend an animal
(wild in this case) and I also appreciated they had lives outside of us.

Wifey took ten years to convince me we needed a dog, but we were
self employed by then, and it worked.

Yup, it takes more responsibility to be a good 'companion' to a dog than
it does a cat.

We ran a PO and the dog lived
behind the counter with us for three years, before we retired. She
had a great time - all the villagers knew her, spoke to her, as did
the posties.

Plenty of 'enrichment' for her then. ;-)

We retired nearly four years ago, and she has an even
better life, with us all the time.

Yup, all our whippets have been 'with ya' dogs (they just want to be
with you no matter what you are doing or how uncomfortable to situation).

It is true that dogs are far more
a part of your life than cats in that she is always with me. Even if
I'm painting a wall, she will settle down with me.

IMO that defines the real meaning of a 'Companion animal' Graeme.

Days in the
garden are favourite, of course. The other side of the coin is that
dogs need more attention than cats.

'Need' as in desire / enjoy and again, that is a big part of the two way
relationship with a 'companion animal'.

She is walked twice a day, every
day. All of that is a price worth paying. When I pop out to the
shops, she will sit by the gate until I return. A cat would just
open one eye then go back to sleep :-)

I *have* been 'greeted' on my return by a cat but never with the same
enthusiasm of most dogs.

Today I struck up a conversation on the pavement with a dog / owner ...
something often done because 1) dogs and their owners *are* often out in
public and together and 2) many people like to talk to dog owners and
their companions and most dogs also enjoy the experience.

It was funny the other day to see daughters cat loving workmate try to
approach a local wandering cat with all the 'aaah, are you lovely, here
pussy pussy' type talk only to have it turn round and lash out at her. I
suggested drop kicking it up the lane g but 'of course' and even
though it had scratcher her for trying to be friendly she still thought
it was a nice cat??

Had anyone's dog got out and done the same they would be onto the
Council like a shot and it could well be put down. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

---