Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default The filthy sluts kittens

On 31/03/2017 16:48, Mark wrote:
snip

"Cats do not need the attention a dog does but when it gives you attention
is not false. They select who they want to be with."

Exactly ... hardly great credentials for something that is supposed to
be a 'companion animal'.

Well no you have got that wrong, we are the 'companion animal' to the cat.

Really? Most cats I've come across don't seem to GAF if they have a
single (human) 'companion' or not ... going as far as wandering away
from one and joining another.

And thats what makes them so different to a dog which is a pack animal and
bred to be subservient to us.

Well, the suggestion that 'all dogs are pack animals' is highly
questionable (they are now domesticated and look to us not other dogs in
a 'pack' for their survival) and just 'why' dogs are 'companion animals'
and in comparison (to the range of things humans and dogs can share) aren't.

And of course big cats tend to live and hunt in a pack (pride etc) and
so it could be said are no different from wolves (not domesticated dogs)
in that regard.

I'm not saying that (some) cats can't be good companions because they
obviously are to many, but they can only be such to a lower level than
of a dog from a more general understand of the term for the reasons you
give. In the same way a pet rat, duck or pot bellied pig could appear to
enjoy your company and attentions but like a cat, wouldn't typically go
out with you on long walks or go running with you whilst you run or
cycle etc. ;-)

Cat's can be fun of course ... well our whippets and lurcher certainly
found chasing them out of our back garden so and had they caught one, it
would only be 'nature' and 'what dogs do' as to what happened next eh?
If that works for cats and wild birds, protected newts, frogs and
expensive pet fish, it should equally work for dogs or pet hawks etc?

Cheers, T i m

---