Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Poly question

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 03:32:18 -0700, Dr. Deb wrote:

Can I apply a water based poly over Watco? I want a clear coat and oil
based poly tends to run to amber.

Water over poly? One way to make sure you have no interaction is to put
a coat of Ultra Blond shellac on the Watco, then top with your water
based poly.

That depends on how much yellowing is too much. I haven't found a
shellac yet that doesn't leave at least a slight yellowing, although with
some it's very slight. Much less than an oil based finish. If that's
acceptable, you're fine to use it. Just be sure it's de-waxed.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?