w_tom

Default Plug Strips

When Corvair was first introduced (before the prototype was
demonstrated), it was promoted as GM's competition to
Porsche. Back then, Porsche was said to be worried what this
big monolith would produce to put Porsche out of business.
Porsche is said to have rushed a new model in production as a
result. Hindsight makes all those news stories humorous.
They were not considered comic stories back then.

It is a sad story that the President of Chevy had to lose
his job in order to get that stabilizer bar. Corporate
histories are full of such types. Boisoloy told the truth
about Challenger to the Roger's commission. He could never
get an engineering job again. In the meantime, the Columbia
investigation committee only confirms what was long obvious.
Management was the reasons for both disasters; they were not
accidents. It cost Boisoloy his future without fixing the
problem called NASA. We don't protect whistle blowers to our
own detriment.

What corporate bean counter was even considered for third
degree murder in the death of Corvair occupants - so that he
could save $2 per car. Remember the Pinto? It exploded on
testing before any were sold. That part to stop gas tank
explosions (and passengers burning alive) cost $4. Ironically
the State of IN Pinto trial is reported on the same page deep
inside the NY Times next to a report on the Beverly Hills
Supper Club disaster - where the victims were blamed by the KY
Governor for their own deaths.

McDonald's coffee? Did you read the details? McDonalds had
hundreds of previous cases because the coffee was excessively
hot. Doctor went to emergency room expecting to treat some
minor burns. Instead he found burns deep to the leg bone.
Massive difference between coffee at 130 degrees and coffee in
excess of 190 degrees. The latter is considered life
threatening. And McDonalds had documented hundreds of
previous cases - and still did not lower the temperature of
coffee to below 140 degrees. Those 50 degrees are a massive
difference. Amazing how details of an unresponsive McDonalds
are forgotten. McDonalds was also arrogant in that trial.
They got the punishment they deserved because they could not
respond to hundreds of previous events.

Finally after McDonalds lowered the temperature of coffee,
they started selling coffee that was drinkable. It fixed the
bad taste because coffee was being brewed at too high
temperature - in violation of coffee industry guidelines for
how to best brew coffee. Everyone won because of that
lawsuit.

I remember McDonalds coffee back then. It always gave a
headache because it was improperly brewed.

Cosmopolite wrote:
I am in no way trying to defend GM, or any other corp. for their
policies. I just wanted to state that from my personal experience
of driving two of them, that I think they were a good car.

I occasionally street raced ( bad thing to do ) my 63 around traffic
circles at 2 in the morning and never had a problem with the rear end
jacking up. I mentioned the Spitfire because that incident stands out
in my memory for the fact that it was sold as a sports car ( with a
sports
car suspension ? ) while the Corvair was sold as a sporty sedan.

If you look at traffic accident statistics, you will conclude that the
overwhelming majority of them are caused by driver error. I do believe
that
people should go to skid-school etc. and learn how to drive properly.

Poor design and corporate greed notwithstanding, I believe that users
of a product are responsible for finding out what that product is and
how to use it safely. SUV's are a prime example. Every winter, the body
shops
in our area get a disproportionate number of SUV's for collision repair.

The drivers seem to think that because 4 wheel drive gives them better
acceleration on slippery roads, it will also give them greater stopping
power.

Too many people are ducking their personal responsibility ( like GM, in
the
Corvair case ) and only want to blame others when things go wrong.
A million dollars for spilling hot coffee on yourself while driving ?
Don't
drink and drive! If I spill something on myself I figure it was my own
doing.

As far as the playground issue is concerned, It does not involve wood
preservatives, but the design of steel and plastic equipment so that no
child
could ever get hurt no matter what they do. Many of the kids that were
interviewed as to why they stopped going to the new playground said
that the new equipment was boring and did not offer them any challenges.