Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

And Yes I really drove a Vega GT, it was my first car, got in in
November 1971 and had to order it from the factory. I was 17,
Yes I could spin the Firestone 70 series tires with the stock engine in
second gear.

You were revving it up for so long - the oil blowing out of it was
coating everything within 50 feet - hence the tire spin ! :-)

I traded for a 75 Olds Starfire, new. Virtually the same vehicle as the
Vega other than body and engine. I always like the Vega other than the
engine.

The early Vega/Astra HAD no equal - thank goodness !

One of my fav Vega stories - I was stuck in a few inches of snow -
a kind neighbour plants his boots and braces one hand against the
drivers door handle and the other under the rear fender lip -
- he gives a good heave-ho and comes up with a piece of my
rear fender in his hand ! looking quite sheepish.
I thanked him and said - " You can keep that . "
This was a 5 year old car - big rust holes all along the top of both
front fenders ; the rest of the car getting very rusty, very quickly.
Engine blowing oil from the start. .. not a single good thing to say
about a '71 Vega. Whenever I see a brag about
Motor Trend Car-Of-The-Year
I think of the 1971 Vega ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...ar_of_the_Year

John T.