Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:37:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 3:45 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I was watching Velocity. A restorer found a Stutz Bearcat unmodified
and pretty much in running condition hidden away in a garage. They
bought it and just cleaned it up and then entered it in the Bebble
Beach Show and won first prize for not restoring. It ran well
considering it's age. 1921 model.

That seems to be a thing now. It's a bit like patina on
old tools - as long as the car is sound, the less you do
to it the more it's valued.

I wonder if that's because most restorations seldom get back
what was put into them?

That would make perfect sense. I can not think of any other reason.

OR to keep it authentic. Paint not so much but I would imagine it would
be very difficult to find parts for a very old vehicle.

The big reason is "it's only original once"
An "as found" that is not wearing it's original paint may as well be
restored, as it is no longer "original"
An "original" "survivor" car is a very rare thing - particularly
something like a '21 Bearcat.