Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_19_] Muggles[_19_] is offline

Default Portable AC platform

On 3/23/2017 4:55 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:56:22 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 11:21 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:09:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 9:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Let's see, what would sensible people prefer? A small drain
hose going to outside or a drain so that it never has to be
emptied? Or a commode sitting in their living space?

A small drain hose going to the outside will not work. I'm not drilling
a hole in my house, AND I'm not going to use a commode because it won't
work, either. It's not heavy duty enough, and not the right dimensions.

I DO know how to work with wood, power tools, screws, various hardware,
and stuff related to building things. So, I built a scrap wood platform
high enough to allow space enough to put a bucket under it, AND sturdy
enough to hold the weight of a heavy portable AC unit. THEN I put a
plastic liner in it that I inserted a drain plug into the center of it.

So, WTF is the problem then?

I was looking for a similar product or idea to what I made that had a
better design.

Using a pump might be a good solution for someone who knows about pumps,
wiring things, and electricity. For example, if you set up a pump to
trigger a switch to cut off the AC when the tub is full, how do you wire
that up to turn off the AC? I don't want to electrocute myself or
damage the AC. I'm not an electrician, or AC repair guru. If I break
it, I don't know how to fix it.

So, I do what I can with the skills I have and build a platform to catch
and drain the excess water into a large basin so I don't have to sop up
the excess water- I can just dump it out of a bucket once every other day.

If the commode can handle a 400 lb ass it can handle the AC
(Bariatric commodes can handle 600 lbs) and even a standard one can
handle 250 lb with no problem. I'm 110% certain your portable AC
weighs a lot less than that - and with minor mods it won't even
resemble a commode.

You are, as usual, being your petulant self. (or petty if you like
that better))

You asked for a factory made solution with a better design. I gave it
to you, yet all you can do is kvetch (as usual) You and Mikey need to
get together!!!

I'm not worried about the weight of the AC by itself. The machine is
tall, and on wheels, and awkward dimensions, and a potty chair/bariatric
commode won't work. It may very well carry the weight of the AC, and
the width, but it won't handle the depth of the machine. I'm not adept
at altering commode tubing, either, whereas, you might be.

How would you modify it to work?

What are the dimensions of youy monster. It has to be a HUGE portable
if it won't fit!!!

The base of the AC approx. 18" x 25". All the potty chair frames I've
seen would be a tight fit.

--
Maggie